Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"GREAT STANMORE, a parish in the hundred of Gore, county Middlesex, 13 miles N.W. of St. Paul's, London, and 1½ mile from Edgware. It is situated on the road to Watford, 2½ miles from the line of the London and North-Western railway, and includes the district of Stanmore Marsh. " (There is more of this description).
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Great Stanmore to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Great Stanmore has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ170917 (Lat/Lon: 51.611982, -0.311676), Great Stanmore which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)