“HADLEY, (or Monken Hadley), a parish in the hundred of Edmonton, county Middlesex, 1 mile N.E. of Chipping Barnet. It is situated near Enfield Chase, and is intersected by the Great Northern railway, which passes through the wood, having a station at Barnet.
In the village are gasworks. The parish was formerly given to Walden Abbey by Geoffrey de Mandeville, and at the Dissolution was given by Henry VIII. to Lord Audley. Here was fought the famous battle between Edward IV. and the Earl of Warwick in 1471. The spot is indicated by an obelisk erected in 1740. The living is a don.* curacy in the diocese of London, value £199. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is situated near the Common, and is a cruciform structure, with a square tower, built of flint, and nearly covered with ivy. It was restored in 1848, and has on the top of the tower an iron beacon used in ancient times to give warning of danger, or to summon the country to arms. This beacon is believed to be unique. The church contains tombs of the Goderes, Sir R. Wilbraham, Dr. Monro, and Mrs. Chapone; it has also brasses of the Greens, and one to W. Gale bearing date 1442. The Wesleyans have a chapel. There are National and infant schools, and two almshouses, one founded in 1616 by Sir Roger Wilbraham for six poor persons, with an endowment of £18 each; the other, founded by Sir Justinian P. Pagett, consists of two houses for three men and three women; the latter was rebuilt in 1832 by subscription. Staunford, a lawyer, and Atkyns, who wrote the History of Gloucestershire, were natives of this place. The principal residences are Wrotham Park, and Hadley House, the former a seat of the Earl of Strafford.
from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"HADLEY, (or Monken Hadley), a parish in the hundred of Edmonton, county Middlesex, 1 mile N.E. of Chipping Barnet. It is situated near Enfield Chase, and is intersected by the Great Northern railway, which passes through the wood, having a station at Barnet. " (There is more of this description).
"POTTERS BAR, a hamlet in the parishes of Hadley and South Mimms, county Middlesex, 4 miles N.E. of Barnet, and 3 N. by E. of Chipping-Barnet. It is a station on the Great Northern railway. The living is a perpetual car.* in the diocese of London, value £170, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. John, was built at the expense of G. Byng, Esq."
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hadley to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Hadley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ243971 (Lat/Lon: 51.658949, -0.204388), Hadley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)