|West Hampstead Congregational Church, West Hampstead, Congregational|
Anglican churches in Hampstead in 1903 - An expanded version of the 1903 list of parishes, showing dates of creation of parishes, and the name used for the records in the London Metropolitan Archives, and elsewhere. The ancient parishes were split into many smaller ones as London grew. This web page has links to other directories of churches in Hampstead.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"HAMPSTEAD, a parish and suburban district of London, in the Holborn division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, 6 miles N.W. of St. Paul's Cathedral. It has a station on the Kew section of the North London railway. Previous to 1598, it formed a hamlet in the parish of Hendon; but is of considerable extent, taking in the greater part of the populous districts of Hampstead Town, West End, North End, Haverstock Hill, Chalcote, Belsize Park, Downshire Rill, Primrose Hill, the Vale of Health, Kilburn, and St. John's Wood, together containing a population of near 20,000. " (There is more of this description).
"HAVERSTOCK HILL, a hamlet and suburb of London, partly in the parish of Hampstead and partly in the parish of St. Pancras, hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, 1 mile S.E. of Hampstead, and 4 miles N.W. of St. Paul's. It is situated under Primrose Hill, on the main road to Hampstead. The North London and London and North-Western railways have a joint station at Chalk Farm, and the latter has a large goods station in the Hampstead road. To the W. of the hamlet the London and North-Western line passes under Primrose Hill by a tunnel of 1,120 yards in length. The principal buildings are the New Orphan Working School, in the Italian style of architecture, removed here in 1848 from the City Road, and the Tailor's almshouses, in the Elizabethan style, with a chapel. It is comprised within the Hampstead superintendent registry, and the Bloomsbury new County Court district. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of London. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was built in 1850, from designs by Wyatt and Brandon, and has a spire 160 feet high. There are besides several chapels and schools. Sedley and Steele once lodged here."
"KILBURN, a hamlet and suburban district in the parishes of Hampstead and Willesden, Holborn division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, 2½ miles from Hyde Park corner, and 4 N.W. of St. Paul's, London. It has stations on the West London, and London and North-Western railways. The Great Western railway and the Grand Junction canal also pass near the village. It was anciently called Cuneburn, from its situation at the head of a bourne or brook which feeds the Serpentine; and was the site of a Benedictine nunnery, founded on the site of Godwyn's hermitage, as a cell to Westminster Abbey. The revenues of the priory at the Dissolution were estimated at £121 16s. The village, which is situated on the ancient Watling Street and on the road to Edgware, contains some good houses. It has recently been greatly extended by the erection of new streets and shops, and has at the N.E. end an extensive ale and porter brewery. There is a medicinal spring near the site of the priory, called Kilburn Wells, formerly of much note, the water of which possesses aperient, properties. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of London. The church has a turret and cupola. There are National and infant schools. Goldsmith's cottage, in the London road, in which he wrote the "Vicar of Wakefield" and the "Deserted Village,"was pulled down in 1837."
"NORTH-END (HAMPSTEAD), a hamlet in the parish of Hampstead, county Middlesex, 5 miles N.W. of St. Paul's, London. It is situated in a healthy spot on the further side of the heath, about 400 feet above the level of the sea."
"POND-STREET, a hamlet in the parish of Hampstead, county Middlesex, 4 miles N.W. of St. Paul's, London."
"PRIMROSE HILL, a small isolated hill, in the hundred of Ossulstone, and borough of Marylebone, county Middlesex, 3½ miles N.W. of St. Paul's, London. It is situated at the northern extremity of the Regent's Park, to which it has recently been added, with Barrow Hill reservoir adjoining it on the W. side. Its summit commands a view of the metropolis, with the hills of Hampstead and Highgate towards the N., and at its base is the Shakspeare oak, planted in 1864. The London and North-Western railway passes underneath it through a tunnel 3,360 feet long, and in excavating which nautili and other fossil shells were found."
"WEST END (HAMPSTEAD), a hamlet in the parish of Hampstead, county Middlesex, 1 mile S.W. of Hampstead. [West Hampstead station is on West End Lane on 2003 street map.]"
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hampstead to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Hampstead has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ267860 (Lat/Lon: 51.558661, -0.173717), Hampstead which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)