Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"HARMONDSWORTH, (or Hamsworth), a parish in the hundred of Elthorne, county Middlesex, 4 miles N.E. of Staines, and 5 W. of Hounslow. The village is situated near the river Colne and Great Western railway. It contains Septston and part of Longford, with Heath Row Camp. It is the Herenmodesworde of Domesday, and was anciently a possession of Rouen Abbey. After the Reformation it was given by Edward VI. to the Pagets. The parish, which is very flat, contains many orchards and market-gardens. The living is a vicarage* with that of West Drayton annexed, in the diocese of London, joint value £530. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was built at an early period. It contains a Norman doorway, stalls, and piscina. There is a National school for boys and girls. The charities produce £139 per annum.
"SIPSON, (or Sepston) a village in the parish of Harmondsworth, county Middlesex, 7 miles W. of Brentford.
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Harmondsworth to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Harmondsworth has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ058777 (Lat/Lon: 51.488362, -0.477569), Harmondsworth which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)