Hide

Hillingdon

hide
Hide

“HILLINGDON, a parish in the hundred of Elthorne, county Middlesex, 1 mile S.E. of Uxbridge, its post town, and 2½ miles N. of the West Drayton station, on the Great Western railway. It is mentioned in Domesday as Hillendone, and was formerly held by Roger de Montgomery, from whom it came to the Salisburys, Lacies, Stranges, Stanleys, and finally to the De Burghs of West Drayton. The parish contains the township of Uxbridge, with Colham Green, Gowld-Green, and 4 other hamlets.

The river Colne and the Grand Junction canal pass through the parish. Here are some brick-kilns. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of London, value £489, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, which is situated on rising ground in the centre of the village, is a flint structure dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The interior contains some handsome monuments, and three brasses bearing date 1419, of Lord Strange and others. In addition to the parish church there are two district churches at Uxbridge and Uxbridge Moor, the livings of both which are perpetual curacies,* the former value £142, the latter £110. The charities produce about £878 per annum. Here are National. British, and ragged schools. Cedar House, formerly the seat of Reynardson the naturalist, derives its name from a huge cedar-tree which grew within its grounds about 1779. This tree was 53 feet in height, 12½ to 16 feet in circumference, and extended over a space of from 89 to 96 feet in diameter. Hillingdon Park, or Little London, was formerly the seat of Count de Salis. It is a meet for the royal stag-hounds. The union poorhouse is situated in this parish. John Rich, the comedian, who died here in 1743, lies buried in the churchyard.

from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

Hide
topup

Description & Travel

Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"HILLINGDON, a parish in the hundred of Elthorne, county Middlesex, 1 mile S.E. of Uxbridge, its post town, and 2½ miles N. of the West Drayton station, on the Great Western railway. It is mentioned in Domesday as Hillendone, and was formerly held by Roger de Montgomery, from whom it came to the Salisburys, Lacies, Stranges, Stanleys, and finally to the De Burghs of West Drayton. The parish contains the township of Uxbridge, with Colham Green, Gowld-Green, and 4 other hamlets." (There is more of this description).

"COLHAM GREEN, a hamlet in the parish of Hillingdon, in the county of Middlesex, 2 miles S. of Uxbridge. At the Conquest it was granted to Roger de Montgomery. [On modern maps Colham Road and Colham Green Road run North South, West of Harlington Road; Colham Green is shown as a recreation ground just North West of West Drayton Road.]"

"GOULD GREEN, a village in the parish of Hillingdon, hundred of Elthorne, county Middlesex, 2 miles S.E. of Uxbridge. Here is a large lunatic asylum for the higher classes called Moorcroft House. [On modern maps Goulds Green is the Northern edge of Stockley Park golf course.]"

"PEEL HATCH, a hamlet in the parish of Hillingdon, county Middlesex, 1 mile S.E. of Uxbridge.

[Pield Heath is in this location on 2003 map.]

"YIEWSLEY, a village in the parish of Hillingdon, hundred of Elthorne, county Middlesex, 1 mile S.E. of Uxbridge. [Grewsley in 1868 gazetteer, but that is probably a mis-print for Yiewsley.]"

 

Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.

You can see pictures of Hillingdon which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Hillingdon has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ073828 (Lat/Lon: 51.533919, -0.454422), Hillingdon which are provided by: