Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"ISLEWORTH, a parish in the hundred of the same name, county Middlesex, 8 miles W. of Hyde Park corner, and 1 S.W. of Brentford. It is situated on the river Thames, and is a station on the South-Western railway. It contains Brentford End, Smallbury Green, Wyke Green, and parts of Hounslow and Whitton. " (There is more of this description).
"BRENTFORD END, a hamlet in the parish and hundred of Isleworth, in the county of Middlesex, 1 mile from Brentford. It is on the north side of the river Thames, and was the site of an ancient chapel erected in the reign of Henry VI. [On a 2003 street map, it is shown East of Syon Lane, South of the Great West Road.]"
"SMALLBERRY GREEN, a hamlet in the parish of Isleworth, county Middlesex, 2 miles S.W. of Brentford. In the vicinity is Spring Grove, formerly the seat of Sir Joseph Banks. [2003 street map has Smallberry Avenue just S.E. of Isleworth station, and Spring Grove just North of Isleworth station.]"
"SPRING GROVE, a hamlet in the parish of Isleworth, hundred of Gore, county Middlesex, 11 miles S.W. of St. Paul's, London. It is situated near Hounslow Heath, and has a station on the loop line of the London and South Western railway."
"WHITTON DEAN, a hamlet in the parish of Isleworth, county Middlesex, adjoining the village of Whitton, in parish of Twickenham. [Whitton Dene is a road on a 2003 street map.]"
"WYKE GREEN, a hamlet in the parish of Isleworth, county Middlesex, 1 mile N.W. of Brentford, on the Grand Junction canal. [Wyke Green Golf Course and a street Wyke Close are on a 2003 map.]"
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Isleworth to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Isleworth has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ163754 (Lat/Lon: 51.46563, -0.327161), Isleworth which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)