Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LITTLETON, a parish in the hundred of Spelthorne, county Middlesex, 3 miles S.E. of Staines, and 2 N.E. of Chertsey, its post town. It is situated on the N. bank of the Thames, within a short distance of Chertsey Bridge. The surface is flat, and the lands bordering on the river are subject to partial inundation. The land is divided between arable and pasture, a considerable portion of which has only recently been enclosed. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of London, value £320, chiefly arising from land. The church, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, is an ancient structure. It contains a brass of the 16th century, and several monuments. The parochial charities produce about £21 per annum, nearly half of which is the endowment of Harwood's school. Littleton Manor House, which once belonged to Cardinal Wolsey, is the residence of General Wood, who is lord of the manor and owner of the parish."
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Littleton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Littleton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ070687 (Lat/Lon: 51.407241, -0.46301), Littleton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)