BAYSWATER, originally a hamlet in the parish of Paddington, Holborn division of the hundred of Ossulstone, in the county of Middlesex, 1 mile to the W. of the Marble Arch, now forms a large suburban town. It is included in the borough of Marylebone, and is situated on the northern side of Kensington Gardens.
It was formerly among the possessions of the Abbot of Westminster. Its present name appears to be a corruption of "Baynard's water," from a stream passing to the east of it, and from having been held by Baynard, of Baynard's Castle, Yorkshire. It was at one time noted for its "tea gardens," but these are almost as much forgotten as the botanical garden of the once celebrated author and herbalist, Sir John Hill. Christ Church, Lancaster-gate, is a perpetual curacy in the patronage of the diocesan, the Bishop of London. St. Matthew's, Bayswater, is a perpetual curacy in the patronage of the Rev. C. Smalley, incumbent. The parochial schools have been recently repaired and enlarged. In St. Matthew's Home for Female Orphans, about 20 children who have lost both parents are supported and educated; there is also an orphan school in connection with a Wesleyan chapel. The Atheneum, in Westbourne-grove, has a large and handsome lecture-hall. The dispensary relieves a large number of the sick poor annually.
[Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
This description is intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.