Information on this page was mainly provided by John Henley, who regularly answers questions on mailing lists about Middlesex parishes and churches.
PADDINGTON parish (which ended up with 23 ecclesiastical parishes by 1890- now 14) was a unit of civil government, a Vestry until 1900, becoming the Metropolitan Borough of Paddington, and then part of the City of Westminster in 1974. You need to be aware that around Kensal Green and Kensal Town there was a detached area of the parish of Chelsea until 1900 - see the appropriate Godfrey Map [website at end], and around no. 2 on our outline map.
This list of Paddington churches 1890 may help. with date founded where known. Paddington St.Mary/St.James is the original parent parish of all [the history is complicated - see see note below]. I've tried to comment about their IGI status, but if you go to FamilySearch and Browse > Browse Library Catalogue > Placename Search [enter Paddington and select Paddington, Middlesex ] > Church Records and Church Records-Indexes, you will see a list of all the LDS film holdings. For batch numbers see IGI Batch Numbers, Middlesex and London, places A to M and
IGI Batch Numbers, Middlesex and London, places N to Z provided by Hugh Wallis. Some churches may appear on the BVRI rather than the IGI. If on the IGI or BVRI then the LDS has a film of the registers.[which may not be complete]. Registers should be with London Metropolitan Archives, Northampton Row; On search form enter "Paddington" as key word. Or choose Westminster as Borough, enter a significant word of the church name on the search form. If that doesn't work, try "register" as the search word. Putting a narrow range of years reduces the number of entries and makes it easier to spot the one of interest. Some other material is at Westminster City Archives.
Paddington, St James, Westbourne Terrace; [N.B.] 1]Middle Ages - the church on Paddington Green is a chapel in the parish of St.Margaret's Westminster, the rectory of St.Margaret's was held by the Abbey of St Peter at Westminster. Later the parish church of Paddington [1343?]. [dedication - St.Nicholas] 2] 1679 this church replaced on same site by new one. There is one reference to this being called St.James, rather than S.Mary. 3] 1788-91, this church replaced by one 80 yards south. [dedicated to St Mary, 1791]. The Old & New churches are described in the Gentleman's Magazine supplement for 1795. 4] 1840s this church deemed to small [shades of St.Pancras & St.Marylebone???] 5]New church of St.James built at southern end of Westbourne Terrace [now St.James Sussex Gardens] and in 1845 became the Parish Church of Paddington.[the one on Paddington Green was reduced to the status of a chapel of ease.] 8] In 1885 St.Mary's on Paddington Green became a parish church again, as the old parish of Paddington was divided into smaller ecclesiastical parishes.
see SAINT JAMES, PADDINGTON, SUSSEX GARDENS, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 18 on outline map
Paddington, Bayswater Chapel  - see St.Matthew's, below.
Paddington, All Saints' Norfok Square  originally Cambridge Place. 1895 rebuilt after fire. cloed 1919, par.united to St.Michael & AA. Church sold to Royal Assn.Deaf & Dumb for offices and chapel. Used for parish worship again after bombing St.Michael's. Demolished 1961.
see ALL SAINTS, PADDINGTON, NORFOLK SQUARE, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 19 on outline map
Paddington, Christ Church, Lancaster Gate  1977 closed and demol. (except tower). 1978 parish united to St.James, Sussex Gdns.
see CHRIST CHURCH, LANCASTER GATE, LANCASTER GATE, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 17 on outline map
Paddington, Holy Trinity, Bishop's Road  (now Bishop's Bridge Road) closed 1971 - worship in new community hall. Spire demol. 1972, rest 1984. redundant and demolished 1980s. Par united to St Paul, Marlborough Place.
see HOLY TRINITY, PADDINGTON, BISHOPS BRIDGE ROAD, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 14 on outline map
Paddington, St.Paul, Marlborough Place, Harrow Road (or Christ Church Harrow Road);  later Torquay Street. Registers cease 1944[bombing] services in vestry until 1947. demol.by 1959 1952 parish united to Holy Trinity Bps Rd. Paddington, Lock Hospital Memorial Chapel, also known as Christ Church Harrow Road [1842 in Paddington, moved from Grosvenor Place Westminster] non-parochial attracted large congregations. closed 1940, demol.1952/3.
see SAINT PAUL, PADDINGTON, HARROW ROAD, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 10 on outline map
Paddington, St.Augustine, Kilburn [1871/79] Kilburn Park Road. Still open.
see SAINT AUGUSTINE, PADDINGTON, KILBURN PARK ROAD, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 7 on outline map
Paddington, St.John the Evangelist, Southwick Crescent  now Hyde Park Crescent still open.
see for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 21 on outline map
Paddington, St.George's Chapel, Hyde Park Place  non-parochial - the cemetery chapel for St.George's Hanover Square cemetery [detached portion of St.Geo.Han.Sq.parish until 1900] on the Bayswater Road. Closed with cemetery 1854. Renovated and re-opened for services 1880. Replaced 1911 by the Ascension Chapel. Bombed WW2. Demol.1952.
Paddington, St.John the Evangelist, Harrow Road, Kensal Green  still open. Originally in parish of Chelsea (detached) with additions from adjacent portions of Kensington, Willesden, Hammersmith and Paddington parishes.
see SAINT JOHN THE EVANGELIST, KENSAL GREEN, HARROW ROAD, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 2 on outline map
Paddington, St.John the Evangelist, Kensal Green - detached part at Kensal Green (see previous entry) This part of parish is no. 1 on outline map
Paddington, Christ Church, College Park Mission [18??] - chapel to previous. Nothing more known - may have become St.Martin's Kensal Rise or St.Peter's College Park???
Paddington, St.Thomas, Kensal Town  transferred to M.B. of Kensington, now in L.B. of Kensington & Chelsea. bombed and rebuilt, still open.
Paddington, St.Jude, (Lancefield Street) Kensal Green.  Separate registers cease 1952. worship ceases 1959, demol.1960-61. 1952 parish united with St.Simon Saltram Crescent West Kilburn.
see SAINT JUDE, KENSAL GREEN, LANCEFIELD STREET, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 3 on outline map
Paddington, Emmanuel, Harrow Road  still open.
Parish is no. 8 on outline map see EMMANUEL, PADDINGTON, HARROW ROAD, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA
Paddington, St.Luke, Kilburn . then West Kilburn.  Fernhead Road bombed 1940. worship in St.Simon's. 1952 parish united to St.Simon Saltram Crescent, West Kilburn.. Registers to 1959. 1959 new church centre on site, still open.
see SAINT LUKE THE EVANGELIST, WEST KILBURN, FERNHEAD ROAD, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 4 on outline map
Paddington, St.Simon Saltram Crescent . Building still standing 1965. In the post-war re-organisation. St.Luke's and St.Jude's parishes were united to St.Simon's. Worship until 1978 at St.Simon's, church now demol.???. . The parish name is now St.Luke the Evangelist w. St.Simon and St.Jude.
see SAINT SIMON, PADDINGTON, SALTRAM CRESCENT, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 5 on outline map
Paddington, St Mary, Paddington Green - has been the church of the historic parish of Paddington, see note on Paddington St James.
see SAINT MARY, PADDINGTON GREEN, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 15 on outline map
Paddington, St.Philip Mission Church  - St Philip's, in the north-east corner Churchyard of St.Mary's on Paddington Green, pulled down 1893. To its south-west was built St.David's Welsh Church  non-parochial - still open
Paddington, St Mary Magdalene, Delamere Terrace [ 1865] then Woodchester Street, now Rowington Close. Originally St.Ambrose temproary church. New church as St.Mary Mag opened 1878, Still open
see SAINT MARY MAGDALENE, PADDINGTON, WOODCHESTER STREET, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 11 on outline map
Paddington, St.Matthew, Moscow Road, Bayswater.  now Petersburg Place. Built on site of Bayswater Chapel  re-named St.Matthew's & assigned parish 1858, rebuilt 1881-2. -still open
see SAINT MATTHEW, BAYSWATER, SAINT PETERSBURGH PLACE, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 16 on outline map
Paddington, St.Michael and All Angels , Prescott Street/Star Street  bombed 1941,finally closed 1964, demol.1967. site used for playground. Worship in All Saints Norfolk Sq. until 1961. separate registers maintained until 1963. 1965 Parish united to St.John, Hyde Park Cres.
see SAINT MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, PADDINGTON, STAR STREET, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 20 on outline map
Paddington, St Peter , Chippenham Road/Elgin Avenue  rebuilt 1975-7, still open see SAINT PETER, PADDINGTON, ELGIN AVENUE, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 9 on outline map
Paddington, St.Stephen, Westbourne Park (Road)  Spire taken down 1950s. still open - see parish website
see SAINT STEPHEN, PADDINGTON, WESTBOURNE PARK ROAD, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 13 on outline map
Paddington, St.Luke , (Tavistock Road) Westbourne Park  registers cease 1947 1952 parish united with previous. worship in chancel only 1959. Demol by 1963. Do not confuse with St.Luke Fernhead Rd.
see SAINT LUKE, WESTBOURNE PARK, TAVISTOCK ROAD, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 12 on outline map
Paddington, St Thomas , (Newton Terrace) Westbourne Grove  Registers exist 1885-1894 Proprietary chapel in St.Stephen's par. leased to school 1904. Now gone? Upper Westbourne Park, St.Andrew & St.Philip, . Parish created from parts of Notting Hill All Saints, Kensal Green St.John & Paddington Holy Trinity. As church was in Golborne Road Kensington see Kensington list. Registers appear to cease May 1929. 1951 parish united to St.Thomas Kensal Town (above).
Paddington, St Saviour, Warwick Road  still open, new smaller church built 1976.
see SAINT SAVIOUR, PADDINGTON, WARWICK AVENUE, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 6 on outline map
OTHER INSTITUTIONS with Anglican Chapels and/or Chaplains
Paddington Workhouse and Infirmary; St.Mary's Hospital; Paddington ; (Willesden) Cemetery; Kensal Green Cemetery; St.Peter's Home & Sisterhood,Mortimer Road, Kilburn ; Sisterhood and Orphanage, Randolph Gardens ; Orphanage, Percy Road, Kilburn.
The Paddington link at the top of the page leads to a GENUKI page with an 1868 Gazetteer description of the area, and link to a modern map for that location. For old maps, on-line or printed, see street and map sites list, maps recommended by John Henley for use with his lists of churches