The Duchy of Lancaster has short history of the Chapel Royal.
Anglican churches in Westminster in 1890/1905 has some information on this church.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"SAVOY, Precinct of the Queen's Chapel., part of the site of Savoy Palace. [Entry in 1868 gazetteer is under Duchy of Lancaster.]"
"DUCHY OF LANCASTER, a liberty to the W. of the city of London , county Middlesex, comprising that portion of the metropolis known as St. Clement Danes, St. Mary-le-Strand, and the Savoy, which occupies the site of the palace of the earls and dukes of Lancaster. See also Savoy. ["The London Encyclopaedia" of 1993 says the Duchy of Lancaster is a collection of estates, spread all over England, a private property of the sovereign. Part of the former site of Savoy Palace is still owned by the Duchy of Lancaster. The office of the Duchy of Lancaster is in Lancaster Place, which leads onto Waterloo Bridge.]
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Savoy to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Savoy has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ303803 (Lat/Lon: 51.506618, -0.123923), Savoy which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)