"SHADWELL ST. PAUL'S , a parish and populous metropolitan district in the borough of the Tower Hamlets, and Tower division of Ossulstone hundred, county Middlesex, 2 miles S.E. of St. Paul's, London. It is a station on the Blackwall railway. This place, formerly called Chadwelle, took its name from a mineral spring in the "Sun Tavern" fields, dedicated to St. Chad. Previous to 1669 it was a hamlet in the parish of Stepney, and belonged to the Nealds, but was made a distinct parish by Act of Parliament.
It extends along the northern bank of the Thames, including the lower basin of the London Docks, and comprises about 70 acres, mostly built over. The population in 1861 was 8,499. That portion of the parish called Lower Shadwell abuts on the river, and is chiefly inhabited by ship-chandlers, provision merchants, sailmakers, coopers, anchor smiths, and other trades connected with the shipping interest. It contains the 'K' police station, a market, and the Lascar barracks. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of London, value £452, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Paul, is a modern structure, with a tower surmounted by a spire. It was rebuilt on the site of the original edifice in 1821, at a cost of £14,000. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists. There are National schools, rebuilt in 1837, and endowed with an income of £220; also Protestant Dissenters' schools, situated in Shakespeare's Walk, and endowed with £70 per annum, bequeathed in 1712. Captain Cooke's almshouses for 31 seamen's widows were rebuilt and further endowed by John Car. In 1615 Sir Robert Cotton discovered a Roman grave here. Matthew Mead, the celebrated Nonconformist minister, was appointed to this living by Cromwell in 1658, but dis-placed in 1662.
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.