Anglican Churches in Shoreditch, Middlesex in 1890/1905
Information on this page was provided by John Henley, who regularly answers questions on mailing lists about Middlesex parishes and churches.
Here is a list of all the Anglican churches of Shoreditch in 1890/1905, with the dates of the parish formation if known. Original registers if not still with church are mostly deposited in the London Metropolitan Archives. In the list below, the name of the church as it appears in LMA Catalogue is shown (in capitals) followed by the words "in LMA database". Most are in the London Borough of Hackney.
I've tried to comment about their IGI status, but if you go to FamilySearch and Browse > Browse Library Catalogue > Placename Search and enter Shoreditch or possibly where appropriate Haggerston or Hoxton, select then > Church Records and Church Records-Indexes, you will see a list of all the LDS film holdings. For batch numbers see IGI Batch Numbers, Middlesex and London, places A to M and
IGI Batch Numbers, Middlesex and London, places N to Z provided by Hugh Wallis. Some churches may appear on the British Vital Records Index (BVRI - an index on CDROM available for sale from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) rather than the IGI. If on the IGI or BVRI then the LDS has a film of the registers [which may not be complete].
Shoreditch, St. Leonard [the mediaeval parish church] rebuilt 1740 still open.
SAINT LEONARD, SHOREDITCH, SHOREDITCH HIGH STREET, HACKNEY in LMA database
Alan H. Nelson has provided an index to the parish registers 1558-1640. [The original site is now unavailable, so the link is to an archived version.]
Parish is no. 18 on outline map
Shoreditch, Holy Trinity, [Old Nichol Street], Church Street, Bethnal Green, . Damaged during WW2 and demolished. The LMA have registers of baptisms 1867-1892 and marriages 1889-1923, and then there is a statement about the church closing. It may have been merged with St. Philip, Bethnal Green. It may also have suffered confusion with Holy Trinity Hoxton in references. A detailed account of the parish can be found in a recent book by researched and written by Sarah Wise 'The Blackest Streets'. Additional information would be welcome.
HOLY TRINITY, BETHNAL GREEN, OLD NICHOL STREET, TOWER HAMLETS in LMA database
Parish is no. 19 on outline map
Shoreditch, St. Mark, Old Street,  closed, 1937 Parish united part to St. Leonard's, part to St. Michaels.
SAINT MARK, SHOREDITCH, OLD STREET, HACKNEY in LMA database
Parish is no. 15 on outline map
Shoreditch, St. Michael, St. Mark's Street,  closed 1964, now architectural salvage merchants. Adjoining convent partly demolished, and clergy house, now offices. Parish united with St. Leonard's.
SAINT MICHAEL, SHOREDITCH, MARK STREET, HACKNEY in LMA database
Parish is no. 17 on outline map
Shoreditch, St. Augustine, York Street, (Yorkton Street) Haggerston,  1953. Parish united with St. Stephen Haggerston, with St Augustine becoming the parish church - see also Bethnal Green list. c.1980 parish abolished and presumably merged with St Chad, Haggerston as registers from 1868 are at that church according to A2A.
Images of England has a picture of the church.
SAINT AUGUSTINE, HAGGERSTON, YORKTON STREET, HACKNEY in LMA database
Parish is no. 13 on outline map
Shoreditch, St. Columba Haggerston,(Kingsland Road), [1863/1869] - now Christ Apostolic Church. Parish united to St Anne's.
SAINT COLUMBA, HAGGERSTON, KINGSLAND ROAD, HACKNEY in LMA database
Parish is no. 10 on outline map
Shoreditch, St. Paul, Broke Road, Haggerston,  demolished by 1995, Johnson Close on site of church. 1971 parish united with South Hackney, St. Michael London Fields
SAINT PAUL, HAGGERSTON, BROKE ROAD, HACKNEY in LMA database
Parish is no. 7 on outline map
St. Michael & All Angels, London Fields, South Hackney see Hackney List.
Shoreditch, St. Stephen, Goldsmith Row, Haggerston,  1953 united to St. Augustine's church now gone? see also Bethnal Green list
SAINT STEPHEN, HAGGERSTON, GOLDSMITH'S ROW, HACKNEY in LMA database
Parish is no. 14 on outline map
Shoreditch, Christ Church, New North Road, Hoxton,  - 1953 united to St. John the Baptist New North Road. church now gone??
CHRIST CHURCH, HOXTON, NEW NORTH ROAD, HACKNEY in LMA database
Parish is no. 2 on outline map
Shoreditch, Holy Trinity, Church Street, (later Trinity Street, later Shepherdess Walk) Hoxton,  still open
HOLY TRINITY, HOXTON, BLETCHLEY STREET, HACKNEY in LMA database
Parish is no. 1 on outline map
Shoreditch, St. John the Baptist, New North Road, (Pitfield Street) Hoxton,  Still Open, parish united 1953 with St. Mary's, later with St. Leonard's.
SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST, HOXTON, NEW NORTH ROAD, HACKNEY in LMA database
Parish is no. 9 on outline map
Shoreditch, St. Mary, Britannia Street, Hoxton,  created out of St. Luke Old Street and St. Barnabas King Square, bombed, 1953 united to Shoreditch Holy Trinity Hoxton.
SAINT MARY, HOXTON, BRITANNIA WALK, HACKNEY in LMA database
Parish is no. 8 on outline map
Shoreditch, St. Saviour, Penn Street, Hoxton,  damaged in war, 1953 united to St. Anne's. Church demolished
SAINT SAVIOUR, HOXTON, HYDE ROAD, HACKNEY in LMA database
Parish is no. 3 on outline map
Other Institutions with Anglican chapels or chaplains:
Shoreditch Workhouse and Infirmary ;
Geffrye's Hospital [now the Geffrye Museum] ;
Convent of St. Mary at the Cross, Mark Street [now at Edgware]
The link from the parent parish leads to a GENUKI page with an 1868 Gazetteer description of the area, and link to a modern map for that location. For old maps, on-line or printed, on our page of Middlesex maps there is a section for maps recommended by John Henley for use with his lists of churches