Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"SOUTH MIMMS, a parish in the hundred of Edmonton, county Middlesex, 4 miles N.W. of Chipping Barnet, its post town, and 2 W. of the Potter's Bar station on the Great Northern railway. The parish, which is of large extent, is situated near Gladsmoor Heath and Enfield Chase, including the village of Potter's Bar, and part of Barnet." (There is more of this description).
"CHRIST CHURCH BARNET, a chapelry and considerable village in the parish of South Mimms, in the county of Middlesex. Barnet is its post town. The living is a perpetual curacy in the gift of the Bishop of London.
"GANWICK CORNER, a hamlet in the parish of South Mimms and hundred of Edmonton, county Middlesex, 2 miles N.E. of Barnet."
"POTTERS BAR, a hamlet in the parishes of Hadley and South Mimms, county Middlesex, 4 miles N.E. of Barnet, and 3 N. by E. of Chipping-Barnet. It is a station on the Great Northern railway. The living is a perpetual car.* in the diocese of London, value £170, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. John, was built at the expense of G. Byng, Esq."
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from South Mimms to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which South Mimms has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL223008 (Lat/Lon: 51.692638, -0.231992), South Mimms which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)