Anglican Churches in St Marylebone, Middlesex
This page was provided by John Henley, who regularly answers questions on mailing lists about Middlesex parishes and churches.
For St.Marylebone here is a list of all the Anglican churches in 1890 which may be useful. As always, any corrections and additional info. most welcome.
St.Marylebone Parish (which ended up with 26 ecclesiastical parishes by 1890, which are reducd to 9 parishes today) was a unit of civil government, in Middlesex until 1889, then the new County of London; a Vestry until 1900, becoming the Metropolitan Borough of St.Marylebone, and then part of City of Westminster in 1964. The appropriate Godfrey Maps (see recommended maps) show parish boundaries. This list of St.Marylebone churches 1890 may help, with date founded where known. St Marylebone [St.Mary le bourne] is the original parent parish of almost all parishes (but this church has moved - see note below). N.B.: for marriage certificates referring to the [Parish] Church of St. Mary see note under St. Mary, Bryanston Square, below. I've tried to comment about their IGI status, but if you go to FamilySearch and Browse > Browse Library Catalogue > Placename Search [enter St Marylebone -N.B.Placename search is picky about spelling - experiment with StMarylebone, St.Marylebone, etc.] and select St.Marylebone, Middlesex ] > Church Records and Church Records-Indexes, you will see a list of all the LDS film holdings. Batch numbers are on the archived version of this site http://nzsghamilton.co.nz/BNlondon1.htm and also IGI Batch Numbers, Middlesex and London, places A to M and IGI Batch Numbers, Middlesex and London, places N to Z provided by Hugh Wallis. Some churches may appear on the BVRI rather than the IGI. If on the IGI or BVRI then the LDS has a film of the registers (which may not be complete). Registers should be with the Westminster City Archives or with London Metropolitan Archives, Northampton Row, if not still at church..
St. Marylebone, Marylebone Road [The parent parish church, built in 1813-17 on a new site to replace the 2nd parish church (1400 - see "The Parish Chapel" entry following) which became a chapel of ease.] Still open. IGI.
see SAINT MARYLEBONE, MARYLEBONE ROAD, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA.
The parish website includes a history of the various parish churches. The crypt was used for burial from 1817 to 1853, and then closed. In the 1980s the 850 coffins in the crypt were removed to Brookwood Cemetery. A list of those re-interred is held in the parish office.
Parish is no. 4 on outline map.
The Parish Chapel, Marylebone High Street, [the 2nd parish church, built 1400 to replace the 1st church of 1200 at the junction of Marylebone Lane and (present) Oxford Street.] Bombed in 1940, demolished 1949, laid out as garden.
All Saints', Finchley Road, St. John's Wood. (1845, Baptisms Aug.1845-Aug.1846 also in Christ Church. Marriages begin 1846) Still open 1973 - now gone. Closed 1973? Parish united to St.Johns Wood Church?
see ALL SAINTS, SAINT JOHN'S WOOD, FINCHLEY ROAD, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 2 on outline map.
All Souls, Loudon Road, St.Johns Wood - in Hampstead.
The Annunciation: Quebec Chapel, Portman Square non-parochial, built 1787, became The Annunciation, Bryanston Street, Marble Arch in 1914. Still open. The church website has a history section.
The baptismal registers start in the 1890s and are still in use. There are also apparently entries in a register at LMA catalogued as: SAINT MARY, BRYANSTON SQUARE, BRYANSTON SQUARE, SAINT MARYLEBONE, WESTMINSTER - Register of baptisms 1907-1928, including Brunswick Chapel, Church of Annunciation, and French Chapel
Parish is no. 17 on outline map.
Brunswick Chapel, Upper Berkeley Street - non-parochial (1826) -still there in 1958
registers see entry for The Annunciation above
Christ Church, Stafford Street, Marylebone Road 1825. Stafford Street became Cosway Street. Closed 1973? 1971 parish united with St.Paul, Rossmore Way; Church now a recording studio.
see CHRIST CHURCH, SAINT MARYLEBONE, COSWAY STREET, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 11 on outline map.
Christ Church - detached part , St John's Wood Chapel (1814) became St.John's Wood Church & separate parish 1952. Sited in a large burial ground, it remained in a detached part of Christ Church when St.Stephen Portland Town was created. Apparently licensed for marriages from 1927, though these may have been at St.Stephen's.
Area is no. 6 on outline map.
Emmanuel Church, Maida Hill (Northwick Terrace) (built 1834) Separate parish 18??. Sunday School Log begins 1857. Baptism registers 1899-1907 & marriages 1876-1950 in LMA. Restored 1890. Closed 1950? Flats now on site. Parish united to St.Paul Lisson Grove, 1952 .
see EMMANUEL, MAIDA HILL, NORTHWICK TERRACE, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 5 on outline map.
Holy Trinity, St.Marylebone, (1825) Closed, probably between 1942 and 1950, parish united to St.Marylebone, church HQ of SPCK to 2004, now offices.
see HOLY TRINITY, MARYLEBONE ROAD, MARYLEBONE ROAD, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 8 on outline map.
St.Andrew, Wells Street  closed 1932, church re-erected at Kingsbury (Old Church Lane, N.W.9)
see SAINT ANDREW, SAINT MARYLEBONE, WELLS STREET, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 21 on outline map.
St.Barnabas , Bell Street (1866). Severely damaged WW2. Closed 1946. Parish united to Christ Church Cosway St by 1958 (probably 1952).
see SAINT BARNABAS, SAINT MARYLEBONE, BELL STREET, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 10 on outline map.
St.James' Chapel, Westmoreland Street [18??]
St.Luke, Nutford Place (1864. Baptisms begin 1855) Closed 1947. Parish united to St.Mark Old Marylebone Rd 1952.
see SAINT LUKE, SAINT MARYLEBONE, NUTFORD PLACE, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 16 on outline map.
St.Mark, Old Marylebone Road (1872) Closed c.1980, Building used by URC & Ivory Coast Baptists. c.1988. Parish united to St.Paul, Rossmore Road. 1991 parish of St.Mark w. St.Luke united instead to St.Mary, Bryanston Square.
see SAINT MARK, MARYLEBONE ROAD, MARYLEBONE ROAD, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 13 on outline map.
St.Mary, Bryanston Square (1824) Reopened 2002 after renovation - see History page of former parish website. The current parish website contains very little historical information. N.B. references on certificates to "Marriage in the [Parish] Church of St.Mary in the Parish of St.Marylebone" or to "Marriage in the [Parish]Church of St.Mary in the Metropolitan Borough of St.Marylebone" may very refer to this church rather than St.Marylebone Parish Church, which may simply have "Marriage in the Parish Church in the Parish of [St.] Marylebone.
see SAINT MARY, BRYANSTON SQUARE, BRYANSTON SQUARE, SAINT MARYLEBONE, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 14 on outline map.
St.Matthew, Maida Hill (Carlisle Street) (1853) Baptisms 1930-1940 in registers of St.Paul's, Lisson Grove. Marriage registers end 1940. Closed (?bombed?) 1940. Appears to have been looked after by St.Paul's from 1930. Parish united to St.Paul Lisson Grove 1952.
see SAINT MATTHEW, SAINT MARYLEBONE, MAIDA HILL, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 9 on outline map.
St.Paul, Portman Square: Portman Chapel, Robert Adam Street/Baker Street - non-parochial, became parish St.Paul, Portman Square, 1899 (baptisms begin 1888, marriages 1899) - church now a chapel of ease to and parish united to All Souls' Langham Place. Still open. Pevsner's "Buildings of England" says St Paul, Robert Adam Street was built 1970 to replace St Paul Portman Square; and that St Paul Portman Square was built 1779 as a proprietary chapel for the Portman Estate
see SAINT PAUL, SAINT MARYLEBONE, PORTMAN SQUARE, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 15 on outline map.
St Paul, Great Portland Street. formerly the Portland Chapel - now gone. Closed 19??. (Baptism reg. 1897-1904 in LMA). [There seems to be confusion between this and Portman Chapel, St Paul Portman Square, previous entry.]
see SAINT PAUL, GREAT PORTLAND STREET, GREAT PORTLAND STREET, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA.
St.Paul, Grove Street, Lisson Grove (now Rossmore Road) (1836. Baptisms begin 1839, Marriages 1860) Rebuilt and still open.
see SAINT PAUL, LISSON GROVE, ROSSMORE ROAD, WESTMINSTER for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 7 on outline map.
St. Peter, Portman Square - (1857) united to All Souls 1930
registers not found in LMA database
St.Peter's Chapel, Vere Street - non-parochial (1722). Formerly the Oxford Chapel. Now a chapel-of-ease to All Souls'. Langham Place. Licensed for marriage until 1754, then from 1930. Baptisms throughout. Still open.
see SAINT PETER, VERE STREET, VERE STREET, WESTMINSTER for registers from 1916 (baptisms) and 1930 (marriages) at LMA
St.Stephen the Martyr, Portland Town, (w St.Johns Wood) Avenue Road. Also described as being Hampstead, and thus in LMA appears under modern L.B. of Camden. I think the parish may have been attached to St.Johns Wood Chapel - see above. I would be grateful for any further info. on this church and parish
see SAINT STEPHEN THE MARTYR, HAMPSTEAD, AVENUE ROAD, CAMDEN for registers from 1856 at LMA
Parish is no. 3 on outline map.
Other Institutions with Anglican chapel/chaplain
- St.Marylebone Workhouse;
- Queen Charlotte's Hospital [Baptisms in registers of St Mark Old Marylebone Road];
- Cemetery at Finchley ;
- Middlesex Hospital ;
- Trinity College, Mandeville Place, Manchester Square ;
- All Saints' House,Margaret Street ;
- St.John's, Clewer Sisters' School, Upper Hamilton Terrace;
- Church Army Training Home, Edgware Road ;
- Hospital for Epilepsy and Paralysis, Portland Terrace.
Much of the information on this page was provided by John Henley