“CAMDEN TOWN, a suburban district in the parish of St. Pancras, and borough of Marylebone, in the county of Middlesex, 3 miles to the N.W. of St. Paul's. It is situated on the E. side of Regent's Park, forming part of the north-western suburbs of London.
Here is a station of the London and North-Western railway, and a very extensive depot, with stationary engines, great ranges of workshops, coke-ovens, &c., covering more than 30 acres. Camden Town has two stations, one at Chalk Farm and the other at Camden-road, on the North London and Hampstead Junction railways, which meet here. It took its present name, about the end of the last century, from Marquis Camden, who held the manor of Cantelows, within which it stands. It contains now many spacious and regularly built streets, paved and lighted with gas, and is gradually spreading northwards towards Holloway. Camden-road extends above a mile between the Hampstead and Holloway roads, and contains a great number of handsome and pleasant villa residences, some of which have views towards Hampstead and Highgate hills. The inhabitants are supplied with water by the New River Company. In College-street is the Royal Veterinary College, instituted in 1791, and comprising a lecture-hall, school-room, museum, and infirmary. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of London, value £260, in the patronage of the Vicar of St. Pancras. The church, which stands in Camden-street, was built in 1828, and has an Ionic portico at the W. end. An elegant new church has been erected in Camden-square, dedicated to St. Paul. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £350, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's. In Camden-street are the cemetery and chapel and nine almshouses belonging to the parish of St. Martin's-in-the-Fields. There are also almshouses for 7 0 persons, founded and endowed by the late Mr. Cotterill, the revenue of which exceeds £1,700 per annum. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, and large National schools. St. Martin's cemetery is the burial-place of Charles Dibden and Sir J. Barrow. Elm Lodge, near King's-road, is the seat of the Agars, by whom Agar Town was founded.
from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
NEW GROUND. In the 18th century St Pancras' churchyard (now Old St Pancras) was expanded to the "new ground" south of the existing churchyard. This churchyard was closed in 1854, but by the mid-1860s was disturbed for the construction of the Midland Railway into St Pancras Station. The parts disturbed has not been used for 32 years, but there was a public outcry. The Bishop of London appointed the architect Arthur Blomfield to oversee the exhumation and reburial of the bodies, and Blomfield delegated the task to his student, Thomas Hardy. A number of headstones were relocated around a tree now known as Hardy's tree. Another part of the burial ground was disturbed in 2002-3 for construction of the Channel Tunnel Rail link and its terminus. Many tombstones and coffin plates were recorded, and details are given in the excavation report.
Anglican churches in St. Pancras in 1890/1905 - we have a list prepared by John Henley. It has some information on records, whether churches are still open, and where they are. The ancient parishes were split into many smaller ones as London grew.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"ST. PANCRAS, a parish and extensive suburban district of London, in the Holborn division of the hundred of Ossulstone and borough of Marylebone, county Middlesex, 2½ miles N.W. of St. Paul's. It contains the Euston-square terminus of the London and North-Western railway; the King's-cross terminus of the Great Northern; the new terminus of the Midland Counties railway, now in course of construction; the Chalk-farm junction station of the North London, West London Extension, and London and North-Western lines; also the several stations on the North London and Metropolitan lines. This important parish comprises 2,600 acres, lying between Maiden-lane, Tavistock-square, Regent's-park, Primrose-hill, and Caen-wood, and includes the populous hamlets of Camden, Kentish, and Somers' towns, King's-cross, and parts of Haverstock-hill and Highgate. " (There is more of this description).
"AGAR TOWN, a hamlet in the parish of St. Pancras, in the hundred of Ossulstone, in the county of Middlesex, 2 miles to the N.W. of St. Paul's, London. It lies between the Great Northern and North London railways, and the Regent's canal; and was named after its founder, W. Agar, Esq., of Elm Lodge. [The Encyclopaeddia of London (1993) says it was demolished to make way for St. Pancras Station.]"
"BAGNIGGE WELLS, a district in the parish of St. Pancras, Holborn division of the hundred of Ossulstone, in the county of Middlesex, formerly famed for some mineral springs. Now included in the general designation of London. [A stone marking its location is at 61-63 Kings Cross Road - note in 2003.]"
"CAMDEN TOWN, a suburban district in the parish of St. Pancras, and borough of Marylebone, in the county of Middlesex, 3 miles to the N.W. of St. Paul's. It is situated on the E. side of Regent's Park, forming part of the north-western suburbs of London. " (There is more of this description).
"EAST PARK VILLAGE, (and West Park Village) a small suburb of London , situated in the Regent's Park, county Middlesex, 3 miles N.W. of St. Paul's. [Historically this area was in St. Pancras, from 1837 it was in Christ Church, Albany Street.]
"KENTISH-TOWN, a suburban district and hamlet in the parish of St. Pancras and borough of Marylebone, county Middlesex, 3 miles N.W. of St. Paul's. " (There is more of this description).
"KING'S CROSS, a suburb of London, in the parish of St. Pancras, in the Holborn division of the hundred of Ossulstone and borough of Marylebone, county Middlesex, 1½ mile N. of St. Paul's. Here is the terminus of the Great Northern railway, with a spacious hotel adjoining, built near the site of the small-pox hospital, which has been removed to Upper Holloway."
"SOMERS TOWN, a chapelry in the parish of St. Pancras, county Middlesex, 2 miles N.W. of St. Paul's Cathedral, London. This place, about 40 years ago, was built over, and became a populous suburb. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of London, value £400, in the patronage of the vicar. The church is a modern edifice. See Pancras, St."
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Pancras to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which St Pancras has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ304826 (Lat/Lon: 51.527264, -0.121633), St Pancras which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)