The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
SUNBURY, a parish and post town in the hundred of Spelthorne, county Middlesex, 3 miles from Hampton Court railway station, and 4 W. of Kingston. It is a station on the Thames Valley branch of the London and South-Western railway. It is situated on the banks of the Thames, and near the third lock from London. There are many seats in the neighbourhood. The village is lighted with gas, from works of recent formation. It is a police station of the V division. It is mentioned in Domesday Book as Suneberie, and gave title of viscount to the Montagues. The parish contains the hamlets of Charlton and Upper Halliford.
The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of London, value £336, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a tower containing a clock and six bells. It has been recently restored. The parochial charities produce about £146 per annum, of which £9 go to a free school. There are National schools for both sexes, also infant schools. The Independents have a chapel. The principal residence is Kempton Park, formerly a royal seat called Chenestone.
[Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
This description is intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.