Our list giving location and history of Stepney deanery churches includes those in this parish.
Civil registration records for Wapping parish are now held by Tower Hamlets Register Office, who are developing an index to the records.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"WAPPING, a parish and metropolitan district in the Tower division of Ossulstone hundred, county Middlesex, 2 miles S.E. of St. Paul's, London. It is a suburb of East London, situated on the river Thames, by which it was overflowed till Elizabeth's reign, when a river wall was constructed. The land subsequently became meadow ground, called Wapping Wash, and formed part of Stepney parish till about 1695. The parish comprises about 38 acres, inclusive of the main entrance to the London Docks, constructed between the years 1802 and 1805. " (There is more of this description).
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wapping to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Wapping has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Wapping, 1600-1800 A social history of an early-modern London maritime suburb by Derek Morris and Ken Cozens (East London History Society, 2009, ISBN 978-0-9506258-9-8).
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ345802 (Lat/Lon: 51.504736, -0.063481), Wapping which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)