National Gazetteer (1868) - Ancroft
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"ANCROFT, a chapelry in Islandshire, a district in the county of Northumberland, which until recently, belonged to the county palatine of Durham. Ancroft is 6 miles to the S. of Berwick-upon-Tweed, and 3 from Scremerston, at which village there is a station on the North Eastern railway. It lies in a very pleasant valley on the sea-coast, and comprises the chapelry of Scremerston, and the townships of Cheswick and Haggerston. Holy Island is nearly opposite to it, and the Newcastle and Berwick railway runs through it. The village of Ancroft is believed to have been of greater extent formerly than it is now. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Durham, value £131, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church is very old, and was once a chapel of ease to the curacy of Holy Island. It is said to have been built before the year 1145, and its dedication is not known. It has a square, massive tower, resembling a castle. There is another church at Scremerston, also a perpetual curacy*, value £160, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. A new school-house has just been completed. Coal is obtained at Scremerston, and near Greensis, and there is a large brewery at the latter village. The manor belongs to Greenwich Hospital. Haggerston House, a very ancient seat, visited by Edward II. in 1311, was burnt down in 1618, and has been rebuilt."[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
"ALLERDEAN, a village in the parish of Ancroft, county of Northumberland, lying 4 miles to the S.W. of Berwick-on-Tweed.
"CHESWICK, a township in the parish of Ancroft, in the hundred of Islandshire, in the county of Northumberland (formerly in Durham), 4 miles S.E. of Berwick. It is situated near the coast."
"HAGGERSTON, a township in the parish of Ancroft, in the hundred of Islandshire, county Northumberland, 6½ miles S.E. of Berwick-on-Tweed. This township comprises Haggerston Hall, two or three farmhouses, and a savings-bank. The hall, which was partly erected before 1311 on the site of the old castle, is a large stone mansion with conservatories adjoining, situated in a spacious park, and surrounded by pleasure-grounds. Near it is the ancient family chapel, affording accommodation for 300 persons."
"SCREMERSTON, a township in the parish of Ancroft, hundred of Islandshire, county Northumberland, formerly in Durham, 4½ miles S.E. of Berwick-on-Tweed. It is a station on the North-Eastern railway. It is situated in a vale near the coast of the German Ocean, opposite Holy Island. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Durham, value £160, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church is an ancient structure, and once belonged to Holy Island."
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]