"BEADNELL is a chapelry, township and village, containing 743 acres of land, the property of Thomas Wood Craster, Esq., and others. The annual value is £1,318 4s. 10d., and the number of its inhabitants in 1801, was 223; in 1811, 291; in 1821, 213; in 1831, 251; in 1841, 323; and in 1851, 326 souls. The increase of population is owing to the erection of lime kilns, and the opening of a new colliery. Lands were formerly held in this chapelry by the Harding and Forster familes." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].