Hide

National Gazetteer (1868) - Beadnell

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

"BEADNELL, a chapelry in the parish and ward of Bamburgh, in the county of Northumberland, 9 miles S.E. from Belford, and 12 miles to the N. of Alnwick. It is situated on the sea-coast, and many of the inhabitants are employed in fishing. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Durham, value £79, in the patronage of the Curate of Bamburgh. The church is a neat atone building in the Gothic style, with a small spire. The register dates from 1766. In the district are collieries and limeworks. The village has the benefit of a share in Lord Crewe's charity. Beadnoll House is the chief residence."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]