"BEDLINGTONSHIRE is situated at the north-east corner of Castle Ward, and is bounded on the north by the river Wansbeck, on the west by the parishes of Morpeth and Stannington, on the south by the river Blyth, and on the east by the German Ocean. It comprises the townships of Bedlington, Camboise, Choppington, Netherton, Sleekburn (East), and Sleekburn (West), whose united area is 9,011 acres. The population in 1801, 1,422; in 1811, 1,488; in 1821, 1862; in 1831, 2,120; in 1841, 3,155; and in 1851, 5,101 souls. The hundred of Bedlingtonshire and the parish of the same name are co-extensive." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855]
- The burial register 1867-1957 for Bedlington Civil Cemetery is available at Northumberland Archives Service.
- St Cuthbert's Church was consecrated about 900, and it is thought that the body of St Cuthbert rested here on December 12th 1069, during the wanderings which culminated in his interment at Durham. Some Norman and Saxon traces remain but the church was remodelled in the eighteenth century and there was much rebuilding in the nineteenth. It is located on Church Lane, Bedlington.
- The Ancestral Indexes website provides information about Bedlington, St Cuthbert, Cambois, St Andrew, Cambois, St Peter, Choppington, St Paul and Sleekburn, St John.
- Bedlington - Church Records - links and information.
- This area is within Northumberland Central Registration District.
- Certificates of birth, death and marriage can be ordered from Northumberland County Council.
- The Northumberland Communities website includes pages relating to Bedlington. They provide "a range of learning resource material that reflects Northumberland's heritage, providing a base for studying the County's history. The website provides a starting point for understanding the development of communities in Northumberland. It also seeks to illustrate the range of sources for family and local history research that are available via Northumberland Archives Service."
- The section of The National Gazetteer (1868) relating to this parish - transcribed by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bedlington to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Bedlington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Bedlingtonshire was part of North Durham, a detached part of County Durham, until 1844, when it was transferred to Northumberland.
- Bedlington - Maps - links and information.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ272831 (Lat/Lon: 55.141762, -1.575422), Bedlington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Bedlington Parish was part of Morpeth Poor Law Union. The Union Workhouse was located in Newgate Street, Morpeth. Some records are held at Northumberland Archives Service, but these are of limited genealogical value.
- Peter Higginbotham has provided details, a map and photograph of Morpeth Workhouse.