"BELFORD is a parish chiefly in the northern division of Bambrough Ward, and partly in Islandshire, an insulated portion of the county formerly belonging to the county of Durham. It is bounded on the north by Islandshire, on the west by the parish of Chatton, on the south by Bambrough parish, and on the east by the German Ocean. It extends four miles and a half from east to west, and about three miles from north to south, and comprises the market town of Belford, and the townships of Detchant, Easington Grange, Elwick, Middleton, and Ross. The area of the parish is 11,604 acres, and its population in 1801, was 1,324; in 1811, 1,473; in 1821, 1,783; in 1831, 2,030; in 1841, 1,789; and in 1851, 1,857 souls. Like the adjoining parishes, Belford abounds in coal, lime-stone, and building stone, the soil is very fertile." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].