"BELLINGHAM parish is composed chiefly of moors and sheepwalks, and was formerly a chapelry to the extensive parish of Simonburn, which was divided into six parishes by an act of the 51st of George III., cap. 194. It comprises the townships of Bellingham, East Charlton, West Charlton, Leemailing, Nook, and Tarretburn, whose united area is 20,211 acres. The population in 1801, was 1,079; in 1811, 1,232; in 1821, 1,396; in 1831, 1,460; in 1841, 1,730; and in 1851, 1,594 souls. In this parish there is a extensive moor, called Hareshaw Common, containing above 7,000 acres, and abounding in various kinds of game. The soil, both in the valleys and on the hill side, is very fertile, being a strong red gravel, producing abundance of corn and turnips. Coal, ironstone, and limestone are found in large quantities in this district." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].