"BIRTLEY parochial chapelry was separated from the parish of Chollerton in 1765, and received an independent jurisdiction. It includes the townships of Broomhope with Buteland, and anciently formed part of the barony of Prudhoe. It comprises an area of 6,720 acres, and the rateable value is £3,703 15s. Population in 1801, 490; in 1811, 505; in 1821, 480; in 1831, 447; in 1841, 472; and in 1851, 428 souls. The north-east part of this chapelry is mountainous and sterile, but on the banks of the North Tyne, the soil is tolerably fertile. Both coal and lime are found here. It is principally the property of the Duke of Northumberland, ----- Dunn, Esq., Mr. Davison, and Captain Haggartson. The Duke of Northumberland is lord of the manor." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].