"BLANCHLAND, or HIGH QUARTER [of Shotley Parish], is a chapelry, township and village, the property of Lord Crewe's trustees. The township contains 3,728 acres of land, and its rateable value is £735 5s. The number of inhabitants in 1801, was 366; in 1811, 518; in 1821, 412; in 1831, 454; in 1841, 476; and in 1851, 491 souls. The VILLAGE of Blanchland is situated in a narrow, deep, green vale, on the north side of the Derwent, nine miles south by east of Hexham. Walter de Bolbeck, in 1175, founded an abbey here in honour of the Blessed Virgin, for twelve Præmonstratensian canons, with liberty to add to their number." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].