"BOTHAL parish comprises the townships of Ashington and Sheepwash. Bothal Demesne, Longhirst, Oldmoor, and Pegsworth, whose united area is 7,593 acres. The population in 1801, was 622; in 1811, 557; in 1821, 658; in 1831, 755; in 1841, 800; and in 1851, 946 souls. This parish is about three miles in length, by the same in breadth, and is bounded by the parishes of Woodhorm, Ulgham, Hebron and Morpeth; as also by the river Wansbeck, which separates it from Bedlingtonshire." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].