National Gazetteer (1868) - Bothal
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"BOTHAL, a parish in the eastern division of Morpeth ward, in the county of Northumberland, 3 miles to the E. of Morpeth, and 2½ N. of Longhirst station, on the North-Eastern railway. It is situated in a hilly and picturesque country, not far from the sea-coast, on the north bank of the river Wansbeck, and contains the townships of Ashington-with-Sheepwash, Longhirst, Bothal Demesne, Old Moor, and Pegsworth. Bothal was the site of a castle, rebuilt in the reign of Edward III. by Robert Bertram, at that time governor of Newcastle, who distinguished himself against the Scots, and in the battle near Durham captured William Douglas. From the Bertrams the barony passed by marriage to the Ogles and the Cavendishes, and is now held by the Duke of Portland, who is lord of the barony and chief landowner. The district contains abundance of coal. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Durham, of the value, with the perpetual curacies of Sheepwash and Hebburn annexed to it, of £1,357, in the patronage of the Duke of Portland. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. In the chancel is a remarkably fine monument of alabaster to one of the Ogle family and his spouse, with recumbent effigies and other figures. There is a chapel of ease at Hebburn, and five schools for boys and girls within the parish, besides three Sunday-schools. There is a small free school at Causey Park, founded by the Ogles in 1740, which has an endowment of £15 a year. The other parochial charities, including a bequest for education, are worth about £10 a year. The ruins of the castle, consisting of the keep and a portion of the walls, stand on a rock in the valley of the Wansbeck; surrounded by rising grounds covered with woods. Cockle Park Tower, situated near the river, was the seat of the Bertrams and the Ogles. Near the village of Bothal are some remains of a Lady-chapel. The parish comprises an area of 7,593 acres, the sole property of the Duke of Portland. At Bothal Demesne is a considerable colliery."[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
"ASHINGTON, a township united with the township of Sheepwash, in the parish of Bothal, Morpeth ward in the county of Northumberland, 3 miles to the E. of Morpeth. It is situated near the sea-coast, on the river Wandsbeck."
"LONGHIRST, a township in the parish of Bothal, eastern division of the ward of Morpeth, county Northumberland, 2½ miles N.W. of Bothal, and 3 N.E. of Morpeth, its post town. It is a station on the North-Eastern line of railway, which passes a short distance E. of the village. A small stream passes through the township, which is the property of the Duke of Portland and of the Lawson family. A convenient building was erected here in 1847, for the accommodation of the National school, to which is attached a good library and leading-room. Longhirst Grange and Longhirst Hall are seats here."
"OLDMOOR, a township in the parish of Bothal, E. division of Morpeth ward, county Northumberland, 4 miles N.E. of Morpeth. It is a station on the North-Eastern railway."
"PEGSWOOD, (or Pegsworth), a township in the parish of Bothal, E. division of Morpeth ward, county Northumberland, 2 miles N.E. of Morpeth. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near the river Wansbeck. The Morpeth Banks Colliery Company is in this township.
"SHEEP WASH, a township in the parish of Bothal, ward of Morpeth, county Northumberland, 5 miles E. of Morpeth. It is situated near the bridge over the river Wansbeck. This place was formerly a separate parish, but was joined to Bothal by Act of Parliament in the 17th century. It now with Ashington forms a township The living is a rectory annexed to that of Bothal, in the diocese of Durham. There is no church."
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]