"BRINKBURN is a parochial chapelry in the eastern division of Coquetdale Ward, and western division of Morpeth Ward, comprising the townships of Brinkburn High Ward, Brinkburn Low Ward, and Brinkburn South Side, whose united area is 3,377 acres. Its population in 1801, was 260; in 1811, 209; in 1821, 277; in 1831, 235; in 1841, 208; and in 1851, 225 souls. The soil in this district is generally fertile, and limestone and coal are found in considerable quantities. Brinkburn has been separated from the parochial chapelry of Long Framlington, with which it was returned prior to 1841." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].