Bywell St Andrew
"BYWELL, ST. ANDREW'S is a small parish, extending along both sides of the Tyne, from Corbridge to the village of Bywell, where the churches of this, and the adjoining parish of Bywell, St. Peter, are situated. It comprises the townships of Beal, Broomhaugh, Riding, Stocksfield Hall, and Styford, whose united area is 3,512 acres. The population of the parish in 1801, was 402; in 1811, 428; in 1821, 399; in 1831, 436; in 1841, 452; and in 1851, 480 souls." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].
- Northumberland County Record Office holds copies of Census Returns 1841-1891 and provides a useful User Guide
- The 1851 Census Index (microfiche CN15)Bywell, Ovingham, Shotley, Blanchland and Whittonstall (PRO piece HO107/2414 folios 1-268) (Type A) (Book)
- The 1891 Census Northumberland – Bywell (Broomley, Healey, High Fotherley, Espershields, Whittonstall, Newlands, Bywell, Styford, Newton, Stelling, Ovington, Newton Hall, Welton, Broomhaugh, Riding, Newbiggin, Blanchland, Shotley Low Quarter, Nafferton, Ovingham, Wylam, Hedley, Dukershagg and part of Prudhoe) (PRO piece RG12/4244) (Type B) (Book) (Volume 54) BOTH published by the https://www.ndfhs.org.uk/ may be of value to researchers interested in this parish.
- Bywell St Andrew - Church Records - links and information.
- This area is within Northumberland West Registration District.
- Certificates of birth, death and marriage can be ordered from Northumberland County Council.
- Photographs of Bywell from Les Bell's Northumberland Cam website.
- The Northumberland Communities website includes pages relating to Riding Mill and Stocksfield. They provide "a range of learning resource material that reflects Northumberland's heritage, providing a base for studying the County's history. The website provides a starting point for understanding the development of communities in Northumberland. It also seeks to illustrate the range of sources for family and local history research that are available via Northumberland Archives Service."
- The section of The National Gazetteer (1868) relating to this parish - transcribed by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bywell St Andrew to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Bywell St Andrew has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The history of Bywell, St Andrew is included in:- Northumberland County History Committee, History of Northumberland, Volume 6. Newcastle, A. Reid, 1902.
- Bywell St Andrew - Maps - links and information.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ027636 (Lat/Lon: 54.966683, -1.958656), Bywell St Andrew which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Bywell St Andrew was part of Hexham Poor Law Union. The Union Workhouse was located at Peth Head, Hexham. Some useful records are held at Northumberland Record Office
- Peter Higginbotham has provided details, a map and photographs of Hexham Workhouse.