"BYWELL, ST PETER'S is a parish comprising the townships of East Acomb, Apperley, Broomley, Bywell St Andrew and St Peter, Espershields with Millshields, High Fotherly, Healy, Newlands, Newton, Newton Hall, Stelling and the chapelry of Whittonstall. It is bounded by the parishes of Corbridge, Slaley, Ovingham, and Shotley, and a part of the county of Durham, and contains an area of 17,784 acres. Its population in 1801, was 1,303; in 1811, 1,317; in 1821, 1,406; in 1831, 1,478; in 1841, 1,512; and in 1851, 1,674 souls. A portion of this parish is very fertile, with a beautifully diversified surface, but the remainder consists of wild moors, of which about 2,979 acres were enclosed in 1817-18, pursuant to an act of parliament, obtained in 1812. [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].