Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for National Gazetteer (1868) - Bywell St Peter

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

National Gazetteer (1868) - Bywell St Peter

"BYWELL ST. PETER, a parish in the eastern division of Tynedale ward, in the county of Northumberland, 1 mile to the N.W. of St. Andrew Bywell. It is situated on the banks of the Tyne, and comprises an area of 17,784 acres, including the townships of East Acomb, Apperley, Broomley, Bywell St. Peter, Espershields, with Millshields, High Fotherley, Healey, Newlands, Newton, Newton Hall, and Stelling, with the chapelry of Whittonstall, and part of the township of St. Andrew Bywell. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham, value £119, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Durham. There is also a district church at Whittonstall, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value £45, in the patronage of the trustees of Lord Crewe. The Wesleyans, Quakers, and Baptists have chapels in the village. The parochial charities are worth £6 a year."

"APPERLEY, a township in the parish of Bywell St. Peter, eastern division of Tynedale ward, in the county of Northumberland, 9 miles to the E. of Hexham."

"BROOMLEY, a township in the parish of Bywell St. Peter, Tynedale ward, in the county of Northumberland, 7 miles to the E. of Hexham."

"EAST ACOMB, a township in the parish of Bywell St. Peter, in Tynedale ward, in the county of Northumberland, 7 miles E. of Hegham. It lies near the river Tyne and the Newcastle railway.

"ESPERSHIELDS, a township in the parish of Bywell St. Peter, E. division of the ward of Tynedale, county Northumberland, 7 miles S.E. of Stocksfield. It is a station on the Newcastle and Carlisle railway. Gateshead is its post town. It is situated on the river Derwent, and includes the township of Mill Shields. A Roman Catholic chapel, in the early English style of architecture, is erected in the grounds of Minster Acres Hall, the seat of C. Silvertip, Esq., who is lord of the manor. There is a school for the children of the place. At Wines Hill, a little to the W., is a meeting-house belonging to the Society of Friends."

"HEALY, a township in the parish of Bywell St. Peter, E. division of Tynedale ward, county Northumberland, 7 miles S.E. of Hexham, and 4 S. of the Riding Mill station on the Newcastle and Carlisle railway. Robert Ormston, Esq., is lord of the manor and sole landowner. At Healyfield in this township is a small National school."

"HIGH FOTHERLEY, a township in the parish of Bywell St. Peter, E. division of the ward of Tynedale, county Northumberland, 7 miles S.E. of Hexham. The railway station at Riding Mill, on the Newcastle and Carlisle line, is 3 miles E. of the village. H. C. Silvertop, Esq., is lord of the manor and sole proprietor.

"MILLSHIELDS, a village in the township of Espershields, parish of Bywell St. Peter, county Northumberland, 9 miles S.E. of Hexham."

"NEWLANDS, a township in the parish of Bywell St. Peter, E. division of Tynedale ward, county Northumberland, 11 miles S.E. of Hexham."

"NEWTON, a township in the parish of Bywell St. Peter, E. division of Tynedale ward, county Northumberland, 3 miles N. of Stocksfield, and 7 N.E. of Hexham. It is a small agricultural place."

"NEWTON-HALL, a township and chapelry in the parish of Bywell St. Peter, E. division of Tynedale ward, county Northumberland, 8 miles N.E. of Hexham, and 3 N. of Stocksfield railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the road from Corbridge to Newcastle. The chapel-of-ease, dedicated to St. James, has a tower containing one bell. There is a school for both sexes. Newton Hall is the principal residence. W. F. Blackett, Esq., is lord of the manor and sole landowner."

"STELLING, a township in the parish of Bywell St. Peter, E. division of Tynedale ward, county Northumberland, 9 miles N.E. of Hexham, and 2½ N. of Stocksfield. It is situated near the river Tyne, and on the turnpike road from Hexham to Newcastle-on-Tyne. The manor formerly belonged to the priory of Hexham. Freestone is abundant. The Hall is the principal residence."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]