- A list of 1901 Census "Piece Numbers" for Northumberland.
- Brian Pears has compiled tables linking Piece Numbers with Registration Districts and Sub-districts in Co Durham and Northumberland for each of the censuses from 1851 to 1911.
- The Northumberland & Durham Family History Society has published indexes to the 1851 Census covering the whole county.
- A full index to the 1881 Census has been produced, and can be seen on Fiche at LDS Family History Centres and at the Northumberland and Durham FHS Library & Research Centre, Bolbec Hall, Newcastle upon Tyne. The index to England and Wales is also available online.
- Berwick upon Tweed Record Office has a unique collection of unpublished Census Indexes covering many parishes in the north of the county.
- Northumberland Archives Service has a complete set of microform Census Returns 1841-1901 for the whole county.
- Returns for areas now in Tyne and Wear can also be seen at Tyne and Wear Archives Service.
- A list of transcripts of the 1841, 1861, 1871 and 1891 Census Returns covering areas of Co Durham and Northumberland. N.B. For local 1851 census transcripts see the Northumberland and Durham F.H.S. and the Cleveland, N. Yorkshire & S. Durham F.H.S. websites. The Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints have made the national 1881 census index available online. FindMyPast have placed the 1901 census online - subscribers can search indexes and view images or transcripts of the returns.
- 200 Years of the Census in Northumberland - changes over the last 200 years as revealed by the census.
- A Vision of Britain Through Time - Northumberland. Information from the 1801 to 2001 censuses arranged by local-authority area.