"CHATTON parish is bounded on the north by Lowick and Doddington parishes, on the west by Wooler and Eglingham, on the south by Eglingham and Chillingham, and on the east by Bambrough and Belford parishes. It is about seven and a half miles in length by the same in breadth, and has an area of 17,090 acres. Population in 1801, 1,135; in 1811, 1,378; in 1821, 1,460; in 1831, 1,632; in 1841, 1,725; and in 1851, 1765 souls. It comprises the townships of Chatton, Fowberry, Hazelrig, Hetton, Hetton House, Horton, Lyham, and Weetwood, whose returns are included in those of the parish. This district is intersected by the river Till, a rapid stream, which rises southward of the Cheviot Hills, and is fed by various springs from that wild expanse of country, as it encompasses it at a considerable distance, till it falls into the Tweed below Cornhill. This river flows through a pleasant valley in the midst of a rude, encircling waste, and its banks are adorned by several villages. In the neigbourhood of the Till, the soil is fertile and well cultivated, but the east and west portions of the parish are generally sterile and heathy. Coal and limestone are found in this district." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].