National Gazetteer (1868) - Chatton
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"CHATTON, a parish in the eastern division of the ward of Glendale, in the county of Northumberland, 3 miles E. of Wooler, its post town. It is situated on the river Till, near the Yorkshire and Berwick railway. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Durham, value £198, in the patronage of the Duke of Northumberland. The church, dedicated to the Holy Cross, is a stone edifice in the Gothic style, and contains several beautiful stained-glass memorial windows. The register commences 1713. Here is a Presbyterian place of worship, and there is a National school for both sexes. The Duke of Northumberland is lord of the manor. In the vicinity are New Hall and Fowberry Tower."[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
"HORTON CASTLE, a seat of Earl Grey, in the parish of Chatton, county Northumberland, 3 miles N.E. of Wooler."
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]