"CHOLLERTON is a parish comprising the townships of Barrasfird, Chollerton, Colwell and Swinburn, and Gunnerton and Chipchase. It is bounded by the parishes of Bellingham, Corsenside, Wark, Simonburn, St. John Lee, and Thockrington, and comprises an area of 12,950 acres. The population in 1801, was 1,127; in 1811, 1,162; in 1821, 1,154; in 1831, 1,252; in 1841, 1.129; and in 1851, 1,151 souls. The grater portion of this parish is in a high state of cultivation, and abounds with coal and lime. The rateable value of this parish in £9,030 10s." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].