National Gazetteer (1868) - Cornhill


The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

"CORNHILL, a chapelry in the parish of Norham, hundred of Norhamshire, in the county of Northumberland (formerly in Durham), 12 miles from Berwick-on-Tweed, and 2 from Coldstream, its post town. It is a station on the North-Eastern line, and is situated about 1 mile from the river Tweed, over which is a stone bridge constructed, in 1762. The living is a perpetual cur* in the diocese of Durham, value £240, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Helen, is a stone edifice in the early English style, and possesses some beautiful stained-glass windows, and a font bearing date 1699. It is in good condition, having undergone repairs in 1840. There are National schools for both sexes. Cornhill Hall, the residence of Mrs. Frances C. Collingwood, is an ancient building in the Elizabethan style. Not far from the church is a mineral spring known as St. Helen's Well, and near the bridge are the remains of a castle taken by the Scots in 1549. A lamb and wool fair is held the first week of July, and a cattle fair on the 6th December."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]