"CORSENSIDE parish is bounded by Bellingham, Elsdon, Kirkwhelpington, and Chollerton, and is intersected by the river Reed. It is about six miles long by four and a half broad, and comprises an area of 11,132 acres; rateable value £6,193 10s. The population in 1801, was 375; in 1811, 424; in 1821, 487; in 1831, 524; in 1841, in consequence of the prosperous state of the ironworks, it had increased to 1,108; and in 1851, the stoppage of the same works reduced the population to 579 souls, half the inhabitants having left the parish. The land on the eeast and west sides of this district, are bleak, moorish, and sterile, but near the river the soil is of a light gravelly nature, and produces abundant crops of grass and corn. Both coal and limestone are found here. This parish is not divided into townships, but it is separated into three portions called constablewicks." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].