National Gazetteer (1868) - Corsenside
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"CORSENSIDE, a parish in the N.E. division of the ward of Tynedale, in the county of Northumberland, 5 miles N.E. of Bellingham, its post town. It is situated on the river Reed, near the ancient Watling Street. It contains the hamlets of Linhead, East Woodburn, and West Woodburn. Some of the inhabitants are engaged in the iron, stone, and lime works. The living is a rectory and vicarage* in the diocese of Durham, value £218, in the patronage of Messrs. Tweddell. The church, the dedication of which is unknown, is an ancient stone building, supposed to have belonged to Halystane Priory. There is a good school. In the vicinity are Lynn Head Waterfalls, and the remains of a Roman camp. The Duke of Northumberland is the lord of the manor."[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
"CHESTERHOPE, a hamlet in the parish of Corsenside, in the county of Northumberland, 6 miles E. of Bellingham. Near here may be traced the site of a Roman station, situated on Watling Street."
"EAST WOODBURN, (and West Woodburn) hamlets in the parish of Corsenside, county Northumberland, 4 miles N.E. of Bellingham, on the river Reed. The Wansbeck Valley railway has a station here.
"LINHEAD, a village in the parish of Corsenside, county Northumberland, 6 miles N.E. of Bellingham. There are some ironstone works."
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]