Hide

National Gazetteer (1868) - Cramlington

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

"CRAMLINGTON, a chapelry in the parish of St. Andrew, eastern division of Castle ward, in the county of Northumberland, 4½ miles S.W. of Blyth, and 9 N.E. of Newcastle. It is situated near the coast, and has a station on the North-Eastern railway. The village is large, and many of the inhabitants are engaged in the collieries and mines, which constitute nearly four-fifths of the real property of the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Durham, value £100, in the patronage of Sir M. W. Ridley, Bart. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is a neat stone structure, and contains tombs of the Lawson family."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]