"EDLINGHAM parish is bounded on the north by Eglingham, on the west by Whittingham, on the south by Long Framlington, and on the east by Alnwick. It is about three and a half miles in length by two and a half in breadth, and comprises an area of 12,348 acres. The parish contains the townships of Abberwick, Bolton, Broom Park, Edlingham, Learchild, and Lemmington. Its population in 1801, was 638; in 1811, 667; in 1821, 666; in 1831, 568; in 1841, 659; and in 1851, 742 souls." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].