"EDLINGHAM, a parish in the N. division of Coquetdale ward, county Northumberland, 5 miles S.W. of Alnwick, its post town. It is situated in the vicinity of Aydon Forest, and includes the townships of Abberwick, Bolton, Broome Park, Learchild, and Lemmington. It is watered by the river Alne, which here receives several small tributary streams. The surface is undulating, and in parts hilly, affording good sheep pasture. The village, which is small, is situated on the Great North Road to Edinburgh. Stone is quarried, and there are coal-mines, but not at present in operation. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham, value £483, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church is a stone structure in the Gothic style of architecture. It is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The register commences in 1659. There are some remains of Edlingham Castle, built prior to the reign of Henry II. Sir John Swinburne is lord of the manor. Edgar Atheling, son of Edmund the Outlaw, is mentioned as residing here in 1167, if so he must at that time have been 120 years old, as he came into England with his father while a boy, in 1057."
"ABBERWICK, a township in the parish of Edlingham and north division of Coquetdale ward, union of Alnwick, in the county of Northumberland, 3 miles W. of Alnwick. It is situated on the river Alne."
"BOLTON, a township in the parish of Edlingham, ward of Coquetdale, in the county of Northumberland, 5 miles to the N.W. of Alnwick. It is seated on the banks of the river Alne, and was the site of an hospital founded before the year 1225 by Robert de Roos, of Wark, and given at the Dissolution to the Collingwoods, of Eslington. At this place in September, 1513, the Earl of Surrey assembled his forces, numbering about 26,000 men, preparatory to the final decisive conflict with the Scotch invaders, which took place on the 13th of that month at Flodden."
"BROOM PARK, a township in the parish of Edlingham, ward of Coquetdale, in the county of Northumberland, 5 miles to the W. of Alnwick."
"CRAWLEY, a township in the parish of Edlingham, northern division of the ward of Coquetdale, in the county of Northumberland, 7½ miles N.W. of Alnwick, its post town. There are remains of a tower and strong entrenchment supposed to be Roman, from which a fine view is commanded over the Vale of Whittingham, with the river Breamish, from its source to Alnwick Castle. Some antiquaries suppose this to be the Alauna Amnis of Richard of Cirencester, and its ancient name, Caer-law, or Crawlawe, signifying the "fortified hill," alluding to the numerous Roman, British, and Saxon fortifications in the vicinity."
"LEARCHILD, a township in the parish of Edlingham, N. division of Coquetdale ward, county Northumberland, 5 miles N.E. of Rothbury, and 7 S.W. of Alnwick. There is no village, only a few farmhouses."
"LEMMINGTON, a township in the parish of Edlingham, N. division of Coquetdale ward, county Northumberland, 4.'J miles S.W. of Alnwick. It contains the hamlets of Lemmington Mills and Battlebridge. Lemmington Tower was rebuilt by the Pawsons, who inherited the manor through the Fenwicks."