National Gazetteer (1868) - Ellingham
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"ELLINGHAM, a parish and township in the S. division of the ward of Bamburgh, county Northumberland, 6 miles S.E. of Belford, and 8 N. of Alnwick. The Newham station on the North-Eastern railway is about 2 miles N.E. of the village, which is situated near the coast of the North Sea. The parish includes the townships of North and South Charlton, Chat Hill, Doxford, Preston, and the hamlet of Tynley. Coal and limestone are obtained here in great quantities. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham, value £538, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The parish church is a stone structure, dedicated to St. Maurice, and originally founded in the 12th century; it has recently been rebuilt. The register commences in 1697. There is also a district church at South Charlton, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £160, in the patronage of the Duke of Northumberland two turns, and the dean and chapter one turn."[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
"CHATHILL, a township in the parish of Ellingham, in the southern division of the ward of Bamburgh, in the county of Northumberland, 9 miles N. of Alnwick. It is a railway station on the York and Berwick line."
"DOXFORD, a township in the parish of Ellingham, S. division of Bamburgh ward, in the county of Northumberland, 5 miles S.E. of Belford, and 7 N. of Alnwick. It is situated on the S. bank of a stream which runs into the North Sea."
"NORTH and SOUTH CHARLTON, townships in the parish of Ellingham, in the county of Northumberland, 4½ miles N. of Alnwick.
"PRESTON, a township in the parish of Ellingham, S. division of Bamburgh ward, county Northumberland, 8 miles N. of Alnwick. Preston Tower, in this township, is situated on an eminence, and commands an extensive view."
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]