"EMBLETON parish comprises the chapelries of Rock and Rennington, and the townships of Broxfield, Brunton High and Low, Craster, Dunston, Embleton, Falloden, Newton by the Sea, and Stamford. It is bounded on the north by Doxford and Tuggall, on the west by North and South Charlton, on the south by Howick, Longhoughton, and Denwick, and on the east by the German Ocean. It is about five miles long by three and a half broad, and comprises an area of 13,228 acres. The population of this parish in 1801, was 1,515; in 1811, 1,526; in 1821, 1,806; in 1831, 1,929; in 1841, 2,030; and in 1851, 2,275." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].