Hide

National Gazetteer (1868) - Embleton

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

"EMBLETON, a parish in the S. division of Bamburgh ward, county Northumberland, 6 miles N.E. of Alnwick. Chat Hill is its post town. It is situated within 1 mile of the sea-coast, and includes the townships of Broxfield, Brunton, Craster, Dunston, Embleton, Fallowden, Newton, Rennington, Rock, and Stamford. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Durham, value £815, in the patronage of Merton College, Oxford. The parish church of Embleton is a stone structure dedicated to the Holy Trinity. There are also the following district churches, which are value £115 each, and in the patronage of the vicar, viz. Rennington, perpetual curacy,* and Rock, perpetual curacy The parochial charities produce about £14 per annum, exclusive of an endowment of £8 towards the support of the parochial school. There is a library with reading room. Lord Tankerville is lord of the manor, and owner of the whole of the soil."

"BROXFIELD, a township in the parish of Embleton, ward of Bamburgh, in the county of Northumberland, 2 miles to the N. of Alnwick."

"BRUNTON, (High and Low) a township in the parish of Embleton, ward of Bamburgh, in the county of Northumberland, 8 miles to the N. of Alnwick. It is situated near the sea-coast.

"CRASTER, a township in the parish of Embleton, Bamburgh ward, in the county of Northumberland, 5½ miles N.E. of Alnwick, its post town. The village, situated near the coast of the North Sea, is called Craster Sea Houses. Craster Tower, the seat of Thomas Wood Craster, Esq., is a fine structure of basalt, and commands a view of the German Ocean through the chasms of a bold chain of rocks running between it and the sea."

"DUNSTON, a township in the parish of Embleton, S. division of the ward of Bamburgh, in the county of Northumberland, 6½ miles N.E. of Alnwick. It is situated near the sea-coast. Here are the ruins of Dunstanbrough Castle, standing upon a bold basaltic rock, 30 feet above the sea level. In this rock is an immense chasm, called Rumble Churn, into which the sea rushes with much violence. The castle was built by the Lancaster family in 1315, and destroyed by the Yorkists after the battle of Hexham. This is said to be the birthplace of the celebrated Duns Scotus, the " Subtle Doctor," and belongs to Merton College, of which he was a fellow."

"FALLOWDEN, a township in the parish of Embleton, S. division of Bamburgh ward, county Northumberland, 6 miles N.E. of Alnwick. Fallowden House is a seat of Earl Grey."

"NEWTON-BY-THE-SEA, a township in the parish of Embleton, S. division of Bamburgh ward, county Northumberland, 8½ miles N.E. of Alnwick. The village is small, and the inhabitants chiefly engaged in the fisheries."

"STAMFORD, a township in the parish of Embleton, S. division of Barnbrough ward, county Northumberland, 4 miles N.E. of Alnwick."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]