"FALSTONE is a parish comprising the townships of Plawshets and Wellbaugh. It extends eastward from the limits of Cumberland and Scotland, to the parishes of Thorneyburn and Greystead, a distance of eleven miles, and comprises an area of 57,700 acres. The population in 1801, was 437; in 1811 429; in 1821, 50l; in 1831, 521; in 1841, 560; and in 1851, 562 souls. This extensive parish is one of those into which the parish of Simonburn was divided by act of parliament in 1811. It is a moorish and mountainous district, on which great numbers of sheep are pastured; grouse, partridge, and black game are found in abundance. The North Tyne rises in this parish, and here receives a number of burns or rivulets, on whose banks the soil is in many places well cultivated. From the source of the North Tyne to Bellingham, there are numerous traces of the castramentations, or strongholds, of the ancient Britons. We may mention Bell's Hunkin, and Ryan's Hill, one mile above Keilder Castle; Hitchill Wood, and Camp Rigg, near Keilder; Lowey Knough, and Hobb's Knough, about a mile from the last named place; Harpney Rigg, and Baresdales, on the Lewis-burn, and Hawk's Knough. There is also one on Wellhaugh Moor, another in a wood near Eals, and a third on Knopping Holme Hill, opposite to Tarset Castle. The name of Falstone is said to be a corruption of the Anglo-Saxon word Fæston, signifying a stronghold for the purpose of fastening or securing cattle, &c." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].