National Gazetteer (1868) - Falstone
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"FALSTONE, a parish in the N. division of Tynedale ward, county Northumberland, 9 miles N.W. of Bellingham, its post town. It is a railway station on the North British line. The North Tyne and the Liddle take their rise in this parish, which includes the townships of Plashet and Wellhaugh, with the hamlets of Ridge End, Stannersburn, and Yarrow. A handsome stone bridge here crosses the Tyne. Coal is plentiful, and there are quarries of limestone and freestone. On the moors is abundance of game. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Durham, value £219, in the patronage of the governors of Greenwich Hospital. The church is a Gothic stone structure. The register commences in 1742. The Presbyterians have a chapel, and there is a parochial school for both sexes. In the vicinity are several chalybeate springs."[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
"KEELDER CASTLE, in the parish of Falstone, in county Northumberland, 13 miles N.W. of Bellingham. It is a shooting seat of the Duke of Northumberland, situated on the White Keilder river."
"PLASHETTS AND TYNEHEAD, a township in the parish of Falstone, N.W. division of Tynedale ward, county Northumberland, 10 miles N.W. of Bellingham. At Plashetts is a station, on the Border Counties branch of the North British railway. The township, which is extensive, is situated on the river North Tyne. The surface is of a hilly nature, abounding in game. The houses are much scattered, and the inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the collieries. The township extends to the border of Scotland. The Duke of Northumberland is lord of the manor."
"WELL-HAUGH, a township in the parish of Falstone, N.W. division of Tynedale ward, county Northumberland, 12 miles N.W. of Bellingham, on the river North Tyne."
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]