"FELTON, a parish, partly in the east division of Coquetdale Ward, and partly in the east division of Morpeth Ward, comprises the townships of Acton and Old Felton, Bockenfield, Elyhaugh, Eshott, Felton, Greens and Glantlees, Swarland, and Thirston East and West with Shothaugh. It is bounded by the parishes of Warkworth, Hebburn, Long Framlington, Alnwick, and Shilbottle, and comprises an area of 12,830 acres Population in 1801, 1,393; 1811, 1,409; in 1821, 1,491; in 1831, 1,576; in 1841, 1,585; and in 1851, 1,574 souls. The soil of this parish is various but chiefly incumbent upon strong clay, and is well suited for grain crops. There are some coal seams here, but they are not much worked." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].