"FORD parish is bounded on the north by Norhamshire, on the west by Branxton, on the south by Doddington and Kirknewton, and on the east by Lowick. It comprises an area of 11,466 acres, and its population in 1801, was 1,903; in l811, 1,860; in 1821, 1,807; in 1831, 2,110; in 1841, 2,257; and in 1851, 2,322 souls. The lands here are fertile, and contain valuable seams of coal, and beds of slate, limestone, whinstone, and freestone. This parish is divided into three freehold estates, viz.: Etal, Ford, and Pallinsburn, which are subdivided into five constablewicks; namely, those of Crookham, Etal, Ford, Hetherslaw, and Kimmerston. Etal constablewick includes the whole of the Etal estate. Ford constablewick comprises Ford Mill, and all that portion of the Ford estate lying on the east side of the river Till. Kimmerston constablewick comprehends Kimmerston and Broomridge. Hetherslaw constablewick includes the remainder of the Ford estate west of the Till, except Crookham and Barelaw, which, with the Pallinsburn Estate, constitute Crookham constablewick." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].