"GREYSTEAD parish comprises the townships of Chirdon and Smalesmouth, which were separated from the ancient parish of Simonburn by act of parliament, in 1811, and consists principally of moors and mountains, which abound with various kinds of game. It extends between Chirdon-burn and Smales-burn, and from the south side of the North Tyne to the borders of Cumberland. The pariah is about eight miles in length by four and a half in breadth, and comprises an area of 17,745 acres. The population in 1801, was 199; in 1811, 230; in 1821, 246; in 1831, 250; in 1841, 219; and in 1851, 251 souls." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].