National Gazetteer (1868) - Greystead
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"GREYSTEAD, (or Graystead), a parish in the N.W. division of the ward of Tynedale, county Northumberland, 6 miles N.W. of Bellingham, its post town. It is situated on the river Tyne in the midst of a hilly district, and includes the townships of Chirdon and Smalesmouth, with the hamlet of Hott. A neat suspension bridge here crosses the North Tyne, which abounds with fish. Previous to 1811 this parish formed part of the late extensive parish of Simonburn, which was then divided into six district parishes by Act of Parliament. Nearly the whole of the land is pasture, with a considerable tract of unproductive moorland. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Durham, value £150, in the patronage of the Governors of Greenwich Hospital. The church is a plain stone edifice. The register commences in 1818. The Presbyterians have a church and school.[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
"CHIRDON, a township in the parish of Greystead, in the north-western division of the ward of Tynedale, in the county of Northumberland, 52 miles W. of Bellingham. It is situated on the Chirdon Burn."
"SMALESMOUTH, a township in the parish of Greystead, N.W. division of Tynedale ward, county Northumberland, 7 miles N.W. of Bellingham, and 1 mile W. of Gaystead, on the river North Tyne."
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]